Communication In English



My family comes from Kelantan, from the suburbs. Therefore, when talked about the language, the main language of our family conversation must be the Kelantan accent. It is very difficult for us to use another language in daily conversation, if anyone tried to use a language other than Kelantan dialect. It must be taunted by people around, a mentality that has long existed in community.

It is a lie if I say never try to use a second language in everyday conversation. I used to take special classes in communication skills in English, just did not sit for the test because the cost was quite high for us at that time. While sitting for the Malaysian University English Test or MUET, I was among the students who managed to reach the band level 3 out of 5 levels compared to other friends.

When I continued my studies in Kuala Lumpur, I began to be exposed to the use of English as the language of communication. Especially when the majority of my classmates are from other races, they are better at communicating in English than I am.

Although my communication skills are still bad, due to the surrounding environment, over time I became more proficient in communicating in English. I am not ashamed to try even knowing the words used are very inappropriate for conversation. At that time, I came to understand that the most important thing is that we should dare to try even if the first time fails.

From the next university to the employment sector, English language skills are highly emphasized, especially when entering the private sector in Malaysia. If a person is proficient in Mandarin other than English, there is a greater chance of being selected by the company offering the job.

I started gaining experience starting from the private sector then moving to the public sector. Individuals who have the skills to communicate in English or languages other than Malay. There is potential for promotion.

The most meaningful moment for me, when given the responsibility by a senior officer in the Ministry of Youth & Sports Malaysia to communicate with the Japanese regarding the ASEAN youth ship program which is held every year.

There was a time, when I was on the train, I saw the antics of an Indian uncle chatting with his grandchildren. The language used is English, it really caught my attention. That situation I will definitely not meet in Kelantan. It is impossible.

If we look at the history of the Malay ground, anyone has the English language skills, certainly have a place in the British administration. Even among politicians, practically most of them have English language skills.

Most important when talking about communication skills in English or another language. We must always practice to become more fluent. If you only understand but fail to communicate, it can be considered useless because the art of communication is very expensive. The confidence of foreign investors to invest in the country is also influenced by communication skills.

I may have been late to master the 3rd language while English proficiency is still weak. But for younger brothers and sisters out there, still have time and the opportunity to add their existing skills to prepare themselves to meet the challenges of the future.
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pengalaman menjadi Guru

AKU PELAJAR PENGAJIAN MEDIA,

BAGAIMANA MENJADI TELEMARKETING?